Friday, August 24, 2012

Study

The reason why moved to Louisville is so that Dustin can study here:
Here at Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, he is studying for is Masters of Divinity.

Last year, I was still working out, or "fleshing out" (to use a term I hear Christian pastors use more and more as they seek to apply practically what a text written by the ancients, inspired by God himself, looks like for the average person) what this season of study meant and just what it was going to look like for our family.

During the first several months after we landed, here's how I saw what this move looked like for me:

-Work every Saturday and Sunday as a nurse, leaving the house at 6:15 a.m., returning around 8 pm, and stuff my fear of getting sued because I didn't document something properly 15 yrs down the road (other OB nurses can relate to this I think).
-Take care of four little kids Monday through Friday 24/7, one of them being a breastfeeding infant, less than 12 months old.
-Try to limit the number of days/nights a week I cried or yelled at someone at home to 3 out of 7...I felt pretty good about that number
-Figure out where my heart went and where it was going...

I won't detail the gory details of last year.  It is painful, and in comparison to the infinite hurts in the world, it would be shameful for me to dwell there.  Except...God is faithful.  He has carried me through my grief and given me strength to:

- fear not
- rest
- delight in the Lord
- love my husband
- love my kids
- have a soft heart
- believe in Jesus Christ

Dustin is beginning his second year at SBTS.  My heart is so different from what is was one year ago.  There were nights where I thought I was going to lose my faith, and begged God to keep me, not knowing how in the heck He would do it...because, the world looks pretty bleak out there with out Him.

1 comment:

Havilah Burton said...

Hey lady, I just followed the fb link for another post, but I just wanted to say thanks for this real view of contentment. Not that we have already obtained these things or have already been made perfect, but we press on to reach the goal and win the prize for which God has called us heavenward in Christ Jesus. Encouraged my day :) We miss you guys.
Havilah