Monday, June 2, 2008

Journal Entry: Our Latest Vacation








On May 6 we ventured to Seattle bright and early in the morning, where we picked up our friend Becky Jones, the proceeded to SeaTac Airport. She dropped us off at the airport and stored our mini-van at her house for 8 days, bless her heart. We were on our way to Atlanta, GA.

Well, another great gal in a mini-van picked us up approximately 7 hours later--Mrs. Emily P. Rudolph, Dustin's mom, this time in Atlanta. After a sleep at the Hampton Inn, we ventured out the next morning for a day packed full of fun. First on the docket was the Georgia Aquarium-the largest aquarium in the world. Next we visited the Coca-Cola Museum, the highlight of the trip for me. I tasted all of the different soda and juice flavors Coke distributes throughout the world (I would advise those visiting Italy to steer clear of a carbonated drink called "Beverly," have you tried this one yet Erin Coletti? How about you Elijah?). We then toured Centennial Park, luncheoned at the CNN Center, and eventually made our way to Turner Field to watch a winning Braves game w/ Dustin's dad, mom, and brother "Uncle Hank".

After the Braves game, we drove inter-state, to Rutherfordton, NC and bunked at the Rudolph Household. The next day we watched Mollie, Dustin's little sister, graduate from National Honor Society. She performed a magic show with their bunny-rabbit named Kotsay. This involved Kotsay appearing from no-where with a flash of fire....in a roasting pot! There he was, sniffing around! The next thing we knew, he was put into a magic cage with Mollie turning a small handle on the cage, expelling little Kotsay flat-as-a-pancake! Both Elias and Jillian are still processing how this could have occurred, especially since the rabbit was alive and well when we returned home. Hmm.

Family Fish Fry: This came on Saturday at Mamaw and Papaw Painter's house in Lincolnton, NC. If we're in the area, we won't be missin' out on a fish fry, especially at Mamaw's (although Mollie and I almost missed this one due to a flat tire). You haven't lived until you've had a fish fry from Mamaw's kitchen. The day began with the men-folk gathering early at Mamaw and Papaw's to rebuild their deck. I think that all the boy-cousins were there...Dustin, Peter, Jacob, Casey, Zack, Joe, Dave, Hank, and Trey. What a treat for Mamaw to see her brood of grandson's in one day! Together with uncles, a contractor, and a watchful eye from a few ladies, they got (most of) the job done. Then came supper time: Fried fish, hush puppies, coleslaw, fries, and as always an array of dessert. At a fish fry, one's eyes are always bigger than one's stomach.

Saturday evening came much to quickly and it was time to say goodbye to dear family until we meet again. The Rudolph clan (sans Mollie and Liz *sniff*) was off again to Charleston, SC...Folly Beach, to be more precise. At the beach house we were greeted by thunder and lightning and a beating of rain. It looked as though our last days in the south would be drenched. However, while the next morning blustered some, it cleared up in the afternoon, and the following days were even better. One thing I always look forward to when we visit Charleston is a good walk on the beach. I try to go alone, and this particular morning was cool and clear.

Being large and pregnant has its advantages. For example, I wake nearly every hour of the night to change positions in bed (imagine a car doing a five-point-180 degree turn in the middle of the road and this is how I imagine I must look as I am trying to move from laying on one side to the other). This can be advantageous because sometimes when I wake up, I toss and turn so much that I am not tired anymore. Two options: lay in bed, awake for the next two hours, my mind buzzing away...or get up and get something done. Admittedly I often choose the first option, especially in the middle of the night. But, at times I am motivated toward the latter and have accomplished much in the early hours of day.

This particular morn I got up. The sun had not yet risen. I ventured outside toward the sound and smell of the Atlantic. I don't remember the last time I had watched a sunrise, but I made it outside to watch the sun come-up--so simultaneously simple and awesome. My alone time on the beach was precious, a time to pray, reflect, observe, listen, praise, and walk without interruption. Following my walk came a delicious, Emily-style breakfast of biscuits and gravy, and a full day of hot sun, sand, and ocean, all made even sweeter with family to spend it with.

A couple of days later, it was time to head home. We were all sad to go. Each time we leave, we talk about the next time we will see each other, it is only a "goodbye for now". Hopefully our next visit will be sometime in early autumn, this time with 3 bambinos in tow. Until then, we await Emmy and Pop pop to visit us in the Northwest around the time baby Georgia gets here. Boy am I looking forward to that! No more five-point-turns!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness! I can't believe you guys went to Atlanta! My home town! When my cousins came to visit we would always talk Beverly up and tell everyone how good it was. Then when they took a gigantic glup, their faces would be even funnier than if they took a small sip.

Anyway, Patrick just sent me this link because of Georgia's birth (good name by the way), so it's my first time browsing. I wish the 5 of you well!