Friday, July 18, 2008

Lola & Pogo
I just had a real-life Discovery Channel moment. While I was making dinner, soothing Georgia and putting our animals in their night-shelters, I neglected to put the ducks away. Poor ducks.
Georgia and I were interrupted around 10 p.m. from our bonding time by very loud and distressed quacking from the back yard. I, quick as I could, went outside and there was a coyote chasing poor Lola. I did the only thing that seemed logical to me at the moment: I yelled--"HEY!" and then I screamed...so loud and shrill I scared the coyote (and myself, and probably the neighbors, but no one has come to check on me yet, so who knows if they heard). Lola, in her fright had escaped amongst the low-growing branches of a rhodedendron. When I went to pick her up, she walked right to me. Little Pogo was hiding under their night pen and I was easily able to pick her up, too. I'm not so sure that she is alright, she seems like she might be hurt--though I couldn't find any obvious injury on her. Any way...I won't soon forget the scene: Lola running and flapping her wings wildly, coyote in stride and leaping after her.

No comments: